A Time to Harvest
La Tuque is a city in north-central Quebec, Canada, on the Saint-Maurice River.
Isolated in a huge, hilly forest zone in the heart of the Maurice region, it was
built at the start of the 20th century upon the site of a former trading post. The indigenous Atikamekw people originally inhabited the territory; however, in the early 1850s, settlers were drawn to the area to exploit the forest resources. The town was built upon the pulp-milling industry
By 1904, the Brown Corp, an American paper company, bought the neighboring lands and constructed a pulp mill powered by electricity from a dam — the town proper was born. Apart from the pulp mills, the town is now the gathering point for forest workers. The majority of residents in are French migrants and, as such, many speak French as their first language.
Although called a city, La Tuque appears quite small by American standards, and certainly doesn’t come with the hustle and bustle of one in the USA. The streets are wide, as are the sidewalks, and trees and grassy lawns surround most of the houses and businesses. Many buildings proudly bear the Canadian flag. Pedestrians are well wrapped against the chilly air and traffic is minimal.
Surrounding the city are the ever-present hills covered in forest. Boulevard Ducharme bisects the city, with the paper mills and the Saint-Maurice River to its west.